Simulation is a process of mimicking the operation of a certain real world system or a machine. When we use computers to develop the model of the system, the process is computer simulation.
Simulation can be further classified into several types-
- Stochastic simulation– In this simulation technique, we deal with randomly changing variables that have a definite probability. Probability distribution is widely used in this process. Unlike deterministic simulation, stochastic simulation uses pseudo-random numbers for designing the model.
- Physical simulation– In physical simulation, we replace each complex component in a real world system with a cheaper version. Hence, the behavior of the system can be simulated at an economical cost.
- Continuous simulation– This simulation uses mathematical equations known as differential equations to design a cheap and accurate model of the real world system. This technique is widely used in the design of electric motors, power plants, vehicle suspensions, flight behavior simulation, and automation.
- Discrete simulation– In this simulation technique, we consider only a few critical time instants for understanding and analyzing the function of the system.
- Deterministic simulation-Here, a unique set of outputs is obtained by feeding known inputs into a model that is designed to represent the function of the real system.
Here are some of the advantages of simulation-
Studying the system without building it
Designers can easily simulate the behavior of any complex real world system by using a computer and supporting softwareeasily.
There is absolutely no needto physically build the system. Virtual simulation of complex systems consumes less time unlike the construction of real world systems. Changes can be implemented almost immediately without having to change any physical component. So, designers can save time, money, and resources.
Risk free process
Simulation using computer software is a risk free process. Designers do not have to worry about wasting expensive resources or time. They can unleash their creativity to design energy efficient systems with high accuracy.
Developers often review simulation software like DesignSpark Mechanical and use them for making their job hassle free.
Once understood, the computer simulation tools are easy to use. For example, RPG Maker MV is one such tool which can be used easily by beginners as it comes with tutorial videos and other materials.
They can be used by teachers to demonstrate the working of any system to their students without having to waste any time or money. These simulator tools can dynamically establish the system parameters and also the relationship between them. Students can play with the simulation generated- vary the speed of operation or alter the components used and understand the system in a better way.
Complex systems are accompanied with a lot of uncertainty and risks. Building such systems without simulating them can lead to loss.
Hence, simulation software like Intelligen SuperPro Designer can help designers simulate all the possible models for a given system, rank them based on their efficiency and finally choose a suitable one for a given application.Simulation software help designers to tackle this unpredictable nature of the systems and simulate a realistic model, which can be implemented directly in the industries.
Unlike the physical model of a system, the software simulation does not have a fixed set of rules. Designers can use flexible techniques to obtain answers for a wide range of complexities. Also, the computer simulation does not require any database. It can run without having any knowledge about the output of the systemeasily.
The tools provide accurate results and also help us in predicting the operation of a system during critical situations. Any drawbacks found in the analysis stage of the model can be corrected and calibrated to obtain a neat system.
The technique of computer simulation is used in a wide range of industries like-military, weather prediction, robotic and automation, satellite designing, disaster management, finance, and many others.
Hope that this article helped you to understand the advantages of computer simulation.Thanks for reading!